A few of my favorite Take Back The Night chants
- Sexist, racist, anti-queer/ You won’t make us live in fear
- Sexist, racist, anti-gay/ Don’t you take our night away
- I have no fear, no shame, no time/ My beauty is whole, my body is mine
- Survivors unite/Take back the night
- Yes means yes/No means no/ Whatever we wear/Wherever we go
- Stop the violence/End the silence
and my personal favorite:
- Bitch, slut, dyke, whore/We won’t take it anymore
[Trigger Warning: Rape, Rape Culture]
Pentagon Study Finds 26,000 Military Sexual Assaults Last Year, Over 70 Sex Crimes Per Day
A shocking new report by the Pentagon has found that 70 sexual assaults may be taking place within the U.S. military every day. The report estimates there were 26,000 sex crimes committed in 2012, a jump of 37 percent since 2010. Most of the incidents were never reported. The findings were released two days after the head of the Air Force’s sexual assault prevention unit, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Krusinski, was arrested for sexual assault.
We air highlights from Tuesday’s Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on military sexual assault and speak with Anu Bhagwati, executive director and co-founder of Service Women’s Action Network. “The numbers are outrageous, and I think we’ve reached a tipping point,” Bhagwati says. “The American public is furious.”
Anuradha Bhagwati, executive director and co-founder of Service Women’s Action Network, or SWAN. A former captain and company commander, she served as a Marine officer from 1999-2004. Bhagwati testified in March at the first Senate hearing on military sexual violence in nearly 10 years.