i have no problem with pointing out that anyone of any gender can be an abuser, rapist, pedophile etc because that’s absolutely true.
but the problem with always emphasizing “yes but it happens to everyone, not just women (or people of colour, or trans* people, etc)!” is that it depoliticizes the issue.
violence is not an accident, it is reflective of social power relations that permeate society at every level
A few of my favorite Take Back The Night chants
- Sexist, racist, anti-queer/ You won’t make us live in fear
- Sexist, racist, anti-gay/ Don’t you take our night away
- I have no fear, no shame, no time/ My beauty is whole, my body is mine
- Survivors unite/Take back the night
- Yes means yes/No means no/ Whatever we wear/Wherever we go
- Stop the violence/End the silence
and my personal favorite:
- Bitch, slut, dyke, whore/We won’t take it anymore